Whenever I head to Costco, I'm always astounded by all of the great deals, and without fail, something ends up in my cart that was not on my list. This last trip, I picked up a twin-pack of Nuovo Oven-Roasted Butternut Squash Ravioli. Butternut squash? Ricotta and Parmesan Cheese? All wrapped together in a ravioli? Yes, please. Given the cool autumnal weather of late and the pasta's orange hue, it seemed à propos to serve up the ravioli for our Halloween dinner tonight.
Butternut Squash Ravioli with Brown Butter Sage Sauce
makes 3-4 servings
1 package butternut squash ravioli
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon torn organic sage leaves (about 4-5 leaves)
1 tablespoon raw pine nuts
1. Cook the ravioli in a large pot of salted water according to the manufacturer's instructions.
2. Meanwhile, while the ravioli is cooking, melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat.
3. As the butter is melting, add the torn sage leaves and pine nuts. Stir constantly to prevent the nuts and sage from burning.
4. Continue cooking the butter until it is golden-brown; this should take about 3-5 minutes.
5. Once the butter has browned, remove the skillet from the heat.
6. Once cooked, remove the ravioli from the water and shake off any excess moisture.
7. Add the cooked ravioli to the butter sauce and gently stir to evenly coat the pasta.
8. Serve with a garnish of freshly grated Parmesan cheese.