Without fail, my breakfast consists of plain Greek yogurt, chia seeds, a drizzle of honey, and a healthy serving of granola. I won't lie; I think the granola is my favorite part. Since my stash of purchased organic granola is quickly dwindling, it was about time that I baked up my own batch. Not only is making granola easy, the aroma while it's baking will make your kitchen smell delicious.
Easy Fruit-and-Nut Granola
makes about six cups
3 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2/3 cup raw honey
1/4 cup raw (unrefined, unbleached) sugar
1/2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup dried cherries, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, use a wooden spoon (or your clean hands) to mix together all of the ingredients, stirring in the chopped cherries last.
3. Pour the granola onto the prepped baking sheet. Use the back of the wooden spoon to press the granola evenly and firmly into the baking sheet.
4. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and stir, patting it down evenly before putting it back in the oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes more, or until the granola is golden brown.
5. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 1-2 hours.
6. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.