I'm still processing everything I experienced and learned in Alaska -- plus I think I'm still on Alaska Standard Time ... so how about another list to end the week?
1. Gravlax (raw salmon cured in a mixture of salt, sugar, and herbs) is delicious! And so easy to make. Add some homemade crackers, a fresh vegetable relish, and a simple cream sauce -- and you've got yourself a ready-to-serve appetizer.
2. Stuff a whole (scaled and gutted) fish with fresh herbs and a few slices of lemon, season it with salt and pepper, and it's ready for the grill.
3. Sustainability was written into Alaska's state constitution. The state mandates that “fish…be utilized, developed and maintained on the sustained yield principle.”
4. Butter makes everything better.
5. There's always room for dessert. Always.