My mom was kind enough to send me her cookie gun, so I got to make spritz cookies this holiday season after all! Mmm, these are quite a delicious reminder of Christmases from my childhood. If Santa were around, he'd totally get a plateful on Christmas Eve!
makes about 60 cookies
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Use an electric mixer to cream together the butter and sugar.
3. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
4. Place the dough in a cookie press.
5. Press the cookies onto an ungreased baking sheet.
6. Sprinkle with colored sugar crystals or other holiday decorations if desired.
7. Bake 6 to 9 minutes, or until the cookies are set but not brown.
8. Remove immediately from the baking sheet and place on a wire rack to cool.