Who doesn't love breakfast-for-dinner every once in a while (or even more often!)? For dinner, we broke out my Grandma and Grandpa Moran's waffle iron to make some delish waffles for dinner. (And, we saved the extra batter to make some fresh waffles for breakfast in the morning.) To top the waffles, we supplemented maple syrup (real of course!) with some of my Grandma Berg's famous vanilla waffle sauce. A simple sauce to make, and the perfect complement to waffles fresh from the waffle iron.
Waffles (from Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook Susan G. Komen Edition)
makes 4+ servings
1 3/4 C unbleached all-purpose flour
2 T raw sugar
1 T baking powder
1/4 t fine sea salt
2 farm fresh eggs
1 3/4 C organic whole milk (you could use skim or low-fat)
1/2 C unsalted butter, melted
1 t vanilla
1. Stir together the dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
2. In a separate bowl, beat together the two eggs. Stir in the milk, melted butter, and vanilla.
3. Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients; stir to combine. (Do not over-stir; the batter will be lumpy.)
4. Pour 1 - 1 1/4 C of batter into the center of a greased (we use canola oil spray) waffle iron. Close the lid and allow to cook according to the manufacturer's instructions.
5. When done, use a fork to lift the waffle from the iron. Serve immediately, or place on a plate in a 200-degree oven to keep warm.
Grandma Berg's Famous (and Hopefully Not Secret) Vanilla Waffle Sauce
makes 4+ servings
2 C organic milk (I use skim)
1/2 C raw sugar
2 T unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 t vanilla
1. Mix milk, sugar, and flour over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Stir frequently! (This is very important; you do not want the milk to scorch -- this may or may not have happened the very first time I attempted to make this sauce on my own . . .)
2. Continue stirring as mixture heats; bring mixture to a boil. Cook for a few minutes more; the mixture will thicken to a pudding-like consistency.
3. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Keep warm and serve over waffles immediately.