Another day, another chili recipe. I know, I know. But chilis are just so darn easy to make! And this week I actually had my act together and got the chili started in the morning so that it could cook low and slow all day long -- it was ready just in time for the evening's Packers game. Because, that's how we do it here in Wisconsin!
Slow Cooker Veggie Bean Chili
makes 6-8 servings
1 white onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 15-oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 25-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 15 oz-can no-salt added diced organic tomatoes
1 small can low-sodium vegetable juice
1/2 cup salsa
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground ancho chile powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic into the 4-qt bowl of a slow cooker.
2. Stir in the rinsed beans.
3. Pour in the diced tomatoes (including the juices), vegetable juice, and salsa.
4. Season with cumin, ancho chile powder, oregano, and cocoa powder.
5. Place the cover onto the bowl and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
6. Serve with toppings such as crackers, shredded cheese, Greek yogurt, or freshly chopped chives.