It has been three weeks since I last made a batch of granola, so a new batch was in order. For this week's version, I went with the classic apple and cinnamon flavor combination. I also added in ginger and nutmeg to round out the spices. I'm already looking forward to tomorrow's yogurt and granola parfait to start out my day! (Perhaps a slightly better choice than this morning's mini cupcake and leftover icing bonanza. In my defense, I was freshly icing some cupcakes for D to bring in to work today. I just couldn't help from treating myself to a scrape or two of the mixing bowl!)
makes about 6 cups
2 1/2 cups 7-grain flakes (alternately, you can substitute in rolled oats)
2 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup unsweetened finely shredded coconut
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon walnut oil
1 cup chopped dried apple rings
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the 7-grain flakes, rolled oats, shredded coconut, sliced almonds, and chopped almonds. Stir in the cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and sea salt. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, applesauce, vanilla extract, and walnut oil.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
5. Stir in the chopped dried apple rings.
6. Spread the granola evenly onto the prepared baking sheet.
7. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and stir, patting the granola down evenly before putting the baking sheet back in the oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes more, or until the granola is golden brown.
8. Remove the granola from the oven and allow it to cool in the pan for 1-2 hours.
9. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.